From Valerie's Kitchen - Low FODMAP Breakfast Bars

Hello Friends! Happy October ... 

It feel as though autumn has at last arrived. Such a blessing for this heat-loathing Wisconsinite!

Since I've recently made aggressive diet and lifestyle changes to help combat my multiple disorders, I've decided to resurrect an old series; From Valerie's Kitchen

Without diving into all the nitty-gritty details, I'll share a few details to put this into perspective. My entire digest system is out of whack, inflamed and totally unpredictable. Medication management has not been effective, yet, nor is it what I really desire for the longterm, as most meds are not gentle on the liver. 

As the months go by and my symptoms continue, it's time to get aggressive. So, here I am, going Low FODMAP again in hopes that it helps ease my bitchy belly. 

According to Kate Scarlata, registered dietitian & author and low FODMAP diet educator
FODMAPs is an acronym, coined by two Australian researchers, Sue Shepherd and Peter Gibson, that refers to Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols. In short, FODMAPs are small chain sugars and fibers that are poorly digested and can contribute to gas, bloating and other digestive woes. FODMAPs are fast food for gut bacteria.  When the bacteria consume the FODMAPs, they produce gas—ouch!  FODMAPs are common in our diet.  Food and beverages such as milk, ice cream, apples, pears, mango, honey, agave syrup, watermelon, onion, garlic, wheat, barley, peaches, apricots, blackberries and common fiber additives known as inulin or chicory root extract are sources of FODMAPs.  The low FODMAP diet was designed to help minimize symptoms in individuals that suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
While I don't have IBS, I do have disorders that effect my entire digest system, and the rest of my body quite honestly. (That is an entire post story in itself!) If I can help reduce bloating, pain and other physical drama by changing my diet, I'm going to give it a shot. And give gluten, dairy, processed foods, coffee, chocolate and many other foods the boot. It ain't gonna easy, but I can do it!



Today's Recipe is for Low FODMAP Breakfast Bars ... super easy to prepare, gentle on the digestive system and just the perfect amount of sweetness to calm your sugary cravings.


Low FODMAP Breakfast Bars

Ingredients

3 ripe bananas
3 cups quick oats, GF
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened

Preheat your oven to 350 F.

Prepare a 9x13" baking pan by lining it with parchment paper. Create "handles" for yourself by cutting a piece of parchment that's longer than the pan. This will allow for easy removal after baking

In a food processor, combine bananas, oats, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt, water and oil. Blend until bananas are no longer lumpy and mixture resembles a wet batter.

 Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Use spatula to spread mixture evenly across pan. Sprinkle shredded coconut over the top of the batter.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until coconut is toasted and bars are a beautiful golden brown. Score your bars for cutting once cooled. Lift bars from pan using parchment paper and place on wire rack to cool.

Or, if you're like me, eat the "broken", still-warm, corner bar. It was delish!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Work Survival Kit: 10 Must-Haves

Junk Mail

Community Education: 2020 & Beyond